Located: Headquarters 2320 Brooklyn Drive, Hibbing MN 55746
The Hibbing Fire Department employs approximately 20 paid-on-call firefighters. They operate from Fire Stations 2 (Townline Road) and 3 (Kelly Lake) staffing Engines 2 and 3, Tender 2, and Brush 2. They respond to most fire calls in the city and are trained in a variety of disciplines. In addition to responding to emergencies, they meet on Monday nights for training and equipment readiness. All operations of the paid-on-call firefighters are overseen by the on-duty Battalion Chief. Paid-on-call firefighters answer about 250 calls per year.
- High School Diploma or GED/HSED
- Valid driver’s license equivalent to Minnesota Class “D”
- Ability to pass entry level testing and background check
- Reside within 20 minutes of Fire Station No. 2 (11896 Townline Road)
- Ability to obtain valid CPAT certification within 1 year of employment
- Ability to obtain NFPA 1001 certification or IFSAC equivalent within one year of employment.
- Ability to obtain MN firefighter licensure within one year of employment.
Ongoing Response and Training Requirements
Paid-on-call firefighters are required to attend 50% of all activities. This includes training and call response.
Pay and Benefits
Paid-on-call firefighters are paid an hourly rate for emergency response and training. Additionally, all costs associated with obtaining certification, licensure and CPAT are covered by the city. A retirement package is also available through the Hibbing Firefighters Relief Association.