Hours: Monday - Thursday 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.,
Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Located: 2020 East 5th Ave; Hibbing, MN 55746
Auto Repair Manuals
Chilton's and Motor's manuals are available for many makes and models of cars, trucks, vans, boats, motorcycles and tractors. These books may be checked out for two weeks. In addition, online resources are available through the Chilton Database and the Small Engine Repair Database.
Bob Dylan Collection and Exhibit
Beginning in 1991, library staff began collecting Bob Dylan artifacts for permanent display at the library. The library endeavors to collect copies of each published work on Dylan and each of his sound recordings. For more information visit the Bob Dylan Collection page.
Books for Book Clubs
Church Library Network (PDF)
The last five years of Consumer Reports and three years of Consumer's Research are kept for reference use in the library. Several Consumer Guides and Buying Guides are also available for circulation covering new and used vehicles, computers and other electronic items.
Library staff will proctor exams for students taking online or long distance courses.
Hibbing Historical File
The Hibbing Historical files contains articles and books about local history. It includes information about moving Hibbing, the Greyhound Bus Company, general history and articles about well known Hibbing residents.
Local Meeting Minutes
Video recordings are available for the City Council meetings and audio recordings are available for Public Utilities Commission meetings. Both are available starting with meetings held in March 1991. Minutes from meetings of the Library Board of Trustees are available on the library web site for the meetings since 1998. Older minutes are available in the Library Director's office.
The Daily Tribune, the Hibbing Daily Tribune, and the Hibbing News are available on microfilm as far back as 1899. The library also has several mining, steel, and engineering magazines on microfilm from the 1950's. The Federal census is also on microfilm for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, and 1890.
Paper copies of The Daily Tribune and other regional and national newspapers are kept for one year. These include the Chisholm Free Press, Duluth News-Tribune, Eastern Itascan, Mesabi Daily News, Minneapolis Star Tribune, USA Today, and the Wall Street Journal.
The electronic editions of record for local, regional, and national U.S. newspapers--all in one easy-to-search database.
Polk City Directories
The library has the current copy of the Hibbing Polk Directory. Older editions of the Hibbing Polk Directory are available from 1909 to the present (with some gaps).
Public Computers & Wireless
The library has computers available for public use. Users must present a library card or valid ID to obtain a passcode.
- Children’s area – Three 1 hour computers for children and parent use.
- Front desk area – Two catalog computers
- Adult reference/reading area – Eight 2 hour desktop computers and one wheelchair accessible desktop computer.
- Computer lab in basement area – Nine 2 hour desktop computers, including one desktop computer setup for those with vision impairment.
Wireless internet is available throughout the library building. It is NOT a password protected network.
Computer use is free of charge. Printing and copying is 25 cents a page for black and white, 50 cents a page for color.
Research and Obituary Requests
The Hibbing Public Library provides references services using Hibbing newspapers, local city directories and other historical files maintained by the Library. It is very important to include the date of the event you would like researched. The Hibbing newspapers are not indexed and library staff are unable to provide assistance without dates to research. Two places you can check to help narrow down the date are:
- The Hibbing Daily Tribune maintains local obituaries on their website from June 1999 to the present.
- The Hibbing Cemetery section of the City websites lists all burials in the City cemeteries by last name and approximate date of burial.
Fill out the Obituaries / Newspaper Request form below, print it out and mail the form and your check for $10.00 to the address on the bottom of the page. Library staff will search for one individual or one event per request and will copy up to 5 pages.
Some of the materials available at the Hibbing Public Library include:
- The Daily Tribune, the Hibbing Daily Tribune, and the Hibbing News are available on microfilm as far back as 1899. The library also has several mining, steel, and engineering magazines on microfilm from the 1950's.
- The library has the current copy of the Hibbing, Virginia, Grand Rapids, and Duluth Polk Directories. Older editions of the Hibbing Polk Directory are available from 1909 to the present.
- The Hibbing Historical files contains articles and books about local history. It includes information about moving Hibbing, the Greyhound Bus Company, general history and articles about well known Hibbing residents.
The library maintains a collection of current Quest/Dex telephone books for towns throughout the state of Minnesota. Older editions of Hibbing phone books are available from 1925 to the present (with some gaps).
The Library has a collection of yearbooks from the High School, the Technical School and the Community College.
- The Hibbing High School Hematite - available for most years since 1909. However the 1959 edition is stored in the Library Directors vault for security reasons (Bob Dylan's senior year).
- The Hibbing Junior College Junior Collegian is available from 1931-1953
- The Hibbing Community College Collegian is available from 1954 - 1976
- The Hibbing Vo-Tech Techanite is available from 1968-1987