Hours: Monday - Thursday 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.,
Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Located: 2020 East 5th Ave; Hibbing, MN 55746
The participants in the Hibbing Public Library's Volunteer Services Program contribute effort and other assets to provide quality library collections, services and programs. The program serves as a method for area residents to become familiar with the Library and creates opportunities for individuals to attain personal satisfaction while performing a valuable service for the community.
- A volunteer is a person who performs tasks for the Hibbing Public Library without receipt or expectation of wages, benefits or compensation (including travel expenses) of any kind.
- The City of Hibbing does not provide workers compensation coverage for volunteers unless required to by law. The City does not provide liability coverage to volunteers. Only the volunteer's own car insurance coverage will cover insurance claims.
- All volunteers must have a current background check on file and be approved by the City of Hibbing’s Human Resources department prior to volunteering in or on behalf of the library. All volunteers will fill out a Volunteer Application, which will be kept on file at the library.
- Volunteers are recognized by the public as representatives of the Library and shall be guided by the same work and behavior standards as employees. Volunteers must comply with all city and library policies including, but not limited to, policies prohibiting firearms at work, respectful workplace policy and library rules of conduct. An orientation will be provided to review policies and ensure that volunteers agree to uphold city and library policies.
- Volunteers supplement the work of the Library staff or perform tasks on behalf of the Library itself. Volunteers and Library Director will agree to a specific commitment of time and skills.
- Confidentiality: participants in the Hibbing Public Library’s Volunteer Services Program have an ethical obligation to respect the privacy of customers, staff, and affiliated entities and to protect and maintain the confidentiality of information learned about these parties in the course of providing services to them. Hibbing Public Library information should not be used by, disclosed to, or discussed with anyone except authorized Library management.
- The Library Director may recommend suspension of any volunteering opportunity if it is no longer of benefit to library operations. This may occur, for example, if scheduling commitments are not followed or the volunteer is responsible for disruptive activity. The City Administrator and Human Resources Director will review such recommendations.
- Minor children under the age of 14 may volunteer at the Hibbing Public Library only with the accompaniment and supervision of a parent and/or an adult. The parent and/or adult must have a current background check on file and approved by the City of Hibbing’s Human Resources department prior to volunteering in the Library building or on behalf of the Library. Minor children 14 and older may volunteer with the permission of a parent or guardian.
The Library Volunteer Policy and Application was approved by Hibbing City Council on January 20, 2016. Please fill out, print, sign, and bring to the library!
Approved by Hibbing City Council January 20, 2016.